Mark your calendar for these interesting gardening events in our region.
Halton Master Gardeners Events
- Halton Master Gardeners Meeting – Special Event Wed. June 5th – Be prepared to support a worthwhile project by getting a little dirty at a community garden. Please bring gardening gloves and tools. Contact Halton Master Gardeners for more information.
- Garden Hacks! Nifty Ideas to Make Your Gardening Easier & More Fun – Monday, June 10 ⋅7:00 – 8:00pm – Have you ever wondered how to keep squirrels from eating your newly planted bulbs? Or how to store that crazy assortment of pots? How about growing potatoes so you can harvest as they grow? Learn this and more in this fun gardening presentation! Stoney Creek Garden Club – Church of Our Saviour the Redeemer, 25 Lake Ave south – Presenter Claudette Sims
- Build A Pollinator Garden – Saturday, June 15th – 9:30 to 11 a.m. – Sunny Mount Park, Milton. Lots of outdoor fun. Free for children age under 12 with one adult ticket purchase. For tickets & information contact: Milton & District Horticultural Society. Presented by: HaltonMaster Gardeners, Shirley Novak & Janet Mackey
- Attack of the Invasive Plants! – Identify, Counter Attack and Eliminate – Monday, 17 June⋅8:00 – 9:00pm – We are under attack from alien species, but they’re not from outer space. Learn how to counterattack and save your part of the planet – Woodbridge Pool and Memorial Arena – Presented by Halton Master Gardener Claudette Sims
- CBC Online Garden Chats – Every Monday in June from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Spend a relaxing lunch hour listening to Ed Lawrence on CBC radio while following HMG’s answer gardening questions online. Send your own questions to us by Tweet to @CBCHamilton or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Invasive Species Around Hamilton – June 4 – 7-9 pm. Learn how to identify and manage invasive species in and around Hamilton. Hamilton Naturalists – Contact email@example.com or Hamilton Naturalists
GRAND DURAND GARDEN – Saturday, June 15, Hamilton
Hamilton BLOOMS for AFRICA – July 12 & 13, Waterdown
The Secret Gardens of Milton Tour 2019 – Presented by the Milton & District Horticultural Society – Sunday, July 7th, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Visit Garden Making Magazine for a listing of more events
Horticultural Society Meetings
Ancaster Horticultural Society – June 18, 2019 – “Strawberry Social”. Members will share their crafts and talents in an informal display and we’ll get to mingle, enjoy the strawberries and perhaps pick up a few ideas! Join us!
Burlington Horticultural Society – June 12th – Janis Smith Harris of Harris Flower Farm – Designs from a cutting garden
- Garden Week: June 15-22 – Lots of events around Milton during this week including The Milton Hospital Garden Opening Ceremony, Pollination Garden Workshop at Sunny Mount Community Garden, Library Talk and Tree Planting.
- June Meeting: Roses Redux: June 17 – 6:30 – 9pm – Banquet Room of the Milton Sports Centre. Join us for a presentation by Marsha Geddes who will be speaking about modern roses hybridized for today’s demands on health, strong foliage, beautiful flower, fragrance, and disease resistance
Mount Hamilton Horticultural Society– June 21, 2019 – General meeting and guest speaker, Marie Decker, who will speak on “Roses”. It is also our Major Flower Show “Stage and Screen” and our annual Strawberry Social. Guest visits are complimentary. Free parking and wheelchair accessible.
Flamborough Monthly Meeting – June 19 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm St. Thomas the Apostle Church, Parish Hall, 715 Centre Road, Waterdown – Summer Flower Show and speaker Tina Liu, “The NCC’s Tulip Legacy”